I bought a domain now what? Is one of the frequently asked questions by newbies who are looking to start their own blogs or personal website.
Ever been in a confused state as this before? Sure you are right now.
But No Problems
I was once like you back then. I get the domain and head straight over to friends: I bought a domain now what do I need to get it working?
Luckily for me, I had friends who were ready to help and they would assist me. It’s not so anymore.
Sure you don’t remain a learner forever on one particular topic, you learn and put things into practice. Then you become an expert as time goes on.
The Good News
I now get domain names and put them to work easily and fast. This was because I asked questions and after getting my answers, I put them to work.
I didn’t stop at putting those answers to work, I took an extra step to make it even more better. In that I can be able to do it all by myself without any further help fro a buddy.
You’re Lucky Today
That is exactly what am going to teach you right in this post.
But before then; let’s see the basics to knowing what a domain name really is.
What is a Domain Name?
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a Domain Name?
- 2 I bought a domain now what: The 7 Things you Should Do Immediately
- 2.1 1. Buy a Web host [Compulsory]
- 2.2 2. Link or Connect your Domain to the Webhosting you Purchased
- 2.3 How to Change Name Servers with Namecheap
- 2.4 Set Nameservers for domains registered with GoDaddy
- 2.5 3. Install the Perfect Platform your Blog
- 2.6 4. Get a Premium Theme
- 2.7 5. Configure SEO for your Blog or Website
- 2.8 6. Write your Post and Create Necessary Pages
- 2.9 7. Grow your Blog
A domain is that combination of words that make up the name your visitors would type into their browser before landing on your website or blog.
- How to Choose a Good Domain Name and Probably Buy it Yourself
- Choosing the Right Domain Name Is an Issue You Can’t Ignore
- 4 Reliable Websites to Buy Cheap Domain Names for your Next blog
A domain name is so important in the success of a blog or website and that’s why you see those links above just incase you want to buy your next domain name.
That’s a topic for another time.
Now that your domain is up and ready, you need to put it to work.
If you bought a domain from godaddy, you should be familiar with that term “Get your domain to work“.
I love and use Godaddy domain registrar alot that’s why I reference them in almost of all my articles about starting a blog.
I won’t waste your time anymore.
I bought a domain now what: The 7 Things you Should Do Immediately
1. Buy a Web host [Compulsory]
You’ve just registered the domain, great decision so far. Unfortunately the domain isn’t going to function without a web hosting.
Wait a Minute
You now ask Prosper, “What is a Webhost”?
A webhosting company is like a storage where your files such as
- Blog Posts
- Other Files
would be stored.
There are lots of webhosting companies online but which is the best?
If you ask me I’d say there’s nothing as best webhosting, there’s just one that’s best for you. While there are some big name webhosting companies such as
- Host gator
Those guys are damn good for sure however. I don’t use them on this blog. I use Namecheap as at the time of writing this post.
They’ve been great so far. If you still ask me which you should go for as a beginner, I’d recommend Dreamhost and Host gator.
This does not mean bluehost isn’t good too. But I definitely can’t recommend all for you.
So Pick Host gator, and to better serve you, hostgator is giving a whooping 50% to new users.
So take action, go to the hostgator or namcheap website, if you are asked about domain name to use. Choose I already have a domain and enter in that domain.
Continue to purchase your hosting plan. The higher the hosting plan you chose, the better for you.
2. Link or Connect your Domain to the Webhosting you Purchased
Congrats on getting your hosting setup.
Now you need to connect this domain name to your webhosting company. It’s very simple stuff to do. Yes, I understand you’re a beginner and would not like coding, we all hate it at first.
All you need to do here is:
- Get the nameserver of your webhost probably namecheap or hostgator. Namecheap will always send the details of their nameservers to your email. In the welcome guide.
- Take up the nameserver and update in your domain
If you don’t know how to do this Read
Following above links should help you setup your nameservers.
You don’t need to worry much. Just incase you don’t get even using above links, you can email the support and they’d be glad to help you out quickly.
When you’re done connecting your domain to the webhosting account then you need to take the next necessary step.
3. Install the Perfect Platform your Blog
Don’t know what a blogging platform is? Its a content management system that can allow you publish articles easily. You must have come across lots of websites but wonder:
- How they write their posts and get it online
- Post Pictures right in their contents
- Adding Videos
- Lots others.
A CMS fully content management system is responsible for all these wonderful features.
I’d show you the best for your blog. Keep Reading
There are lots of blogging platforms and some of them including
But the best for a professional blog or website is the popularly known WordPress.org. Used by Billions of websites you come across online.
In fact the blog you are reading this post right now is setup with wordpress.
Why WordPress and Non other?
- WordPress is newbie or beginner friendly.
- Very Responsive
- Best for Publishing and lots other features.
- SEO Advantage
So the big question now remains how do you install wordpress for you?
This is one of the simplest thing to do on the internet that any beginner can easily carryout easily and fast.
Fortunately I would walk you through installing wordpress for your website or blog
How to Install WordPress
There are more than one way to install wordpress. I would only show you the easiest way to do it.
Install WordPress using Cpanel via Softaculous Apps Installer
This is what people refer to as one click install. Yes it does it.
Login to your Cpanel and scroll down to where you see the WordPress Logo or Under Softaculous Apps Installer.
4. Get a Premium Theme
If you want to stand out in the crowd, then you need to be unique.
This has to do with the design of your blog.
You’ve come across many websites or blogs on the internet and you begin to wonder the kind of lovely theme they use for their site.
However there are free themes on the internet, I don’t recommend them if you need to build a brand. Get a premium theme from mythemeshop as they are one of the best right now offering wordpress themes for as low as $59.
5. Configure SEO for your Blog or Website
While I won’t go into much detail here as you may be a beginner. You need to get your new website to appear on google search results and other search engines and this is where SEO (Search Engine Optimization) comes in.
If you are completely new to Search engine optimization, you should take a look at the above links or browse my SEO Category. Nevertheless, as a beginner, install the yoast seo plugin from the wordpress.org repository.
- Check out How to configure Yoast SEO
Configuring seo is a basic way to start seeing your website or blog and its contents on google and other search engines.
6. Write your Post and Create Necessary Pages
This step is very important.
You need to get your contents on the internet right now and the step to take in order to achieve this step is to actually write and publish your first post and create some necessary pages.
Your first post can be something about why you started the blog and the launch details.
- Why I started Tipsonblogging.com
- The Launch of Tipsonblogging
- Welcome to my Website or Blog
- About Us: This is where you tell visitors what they stand to benefit while reading your blog, its the aim
- Contact Us: Make it easy for users to contact you via a contact form, via email, phone etc.
- Write for Us: As time goes on, as you begin to create contents and grow your blog, readers or other blog autors may want to contribute to your blog also known as guest posting. This page is where you tell them what they need to know before writing a post on your blog.
- Advertise: You will need this later, if you need to make money with your blog using adverts.
While these pages are good, you should not go about creating lots of pages. Keep it simple.
7. Grow your Blog
Above steps won’t be complete except you actually grow your blog to one that can impact lives and make money too.
- Growing A Blog Takes the Same Action Day In Day Out
- How New Bloggers Can Get Traffic to their Blogs and Build Followers
- 11 Things Every New Blogger Should Learn
So if you still have these questions going on in your mind;
- What do I do after buying a domain name?
- Can my Domain function all by itself?
- I bought a domain now what?
- Add others…
Then definitely this post has been able to clear that.
However if you still have questions, don’t hesitate to ask them in the comment section.
All to your blogging success